152 North Third Street, Suite 700
San Jose, CA 95112-5560
Admitted to Practice
– All courts in the State of California
– U.S. District Court, Northern and Eastern Districts of California
– U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
J.D., Lincoln University Law School
B.A., St. Mary's College of California
Certificate in Dental Hygiene, University of Hawaii 1962
Presentations and Articles
– "Billing Practices Seminar for the Santa Clara County Bar Association Barristers"
Thursday, November 1, 2012
– "CA Supreme Court Issues “Hanif” Decision"
– "Northern District of California Adopts Expedited Trial Procedure"
– "Update on the Use of California's EJT Option"
– "Expedited Jury Trials: The Why, When and How of the New California Law" presented to Santa Clara County Bar Association, January, 2011, and to private clients, February and August, 2011.
– "A Hanif Update"
– "California Now Offers a New Trial Option"
– "Workshops for Lincoln Law School Alumni"
– "The Challenge to Hanif Deductions Continues"
– Business Law at University of Phoenix
– Presented seminars for visiting Russian attorneys 2012 and 2013
– Justice Byrl R. Salsman Award from Santa Clara County Bar Association for contributions to community and the profession in 2013
– San Francisco’s Women Leaders in Law 2014
Sharon Hightower is a senior partner and the Assistant Managing Partner in the San Jose office of Ericksen Arbuthnot. Her practice includes the defense of litigation involving professional liability claims, medical malpractice, employment litigation, and personal injury in civil matters. She also provides a defense in professional administrative venues.
Sharon is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She has been nominated and approved for membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) by the San Francisco chapter. Final approval will be forthcoming from the national office within a few months. She is an experienced trial attorney with more than twenty trials and an excellent record of defense verdicts. Over the more than 27 years of practice, Sharon has gained the respect of her colleagues for her success at trial as well as through the ADR process including arbitration and mediation.
Prior to joining the firm, Sharon had a career as a dental hygienist. After graduating from law school in 1987, she passed the California Bar Examination and joined the San Jose office as an associate in 1988. Her background in the medical field provides her with the skills necessary to properly evaluate and prepare cases brought in a number of practice areas.
Sharon is a member of and active with the State Bar and Santa Clara County Bar Associations, DRI, and Northern California Association of Defense Counsel. She serves on the ADR committee for the Santa Clara County Superior Court and has volunteered for the past fifteen years in the court's ADR program. She serves as a temporary judge for the court for settlement conferences and as a traffic judge in addition to serving as a neutral for early settlement conferences. She was appointed to the City of San Jose Civil Service Commission as a member and hearing officer and recently elected to the position of Vice-Chairman. She has also been elected to the Board of Trustees for Lincoln University Law School.
Sharon provides services as a private mediator and has successfully mediated cases involving nursing homes and the Department of Health. She serves as an arbitration for the Santa Clara County Bar Association Fee Arbitration Program. Her background also includes thirteen years of service on the Civil Service Commission as the Vice Chair and Hearing Officer for the City of San Jose.